Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Whatever

Have you noticed that the English language has slowly been deteriorating?  We have had slang for a while.  We are using letters for words...BF.  Or is it BFF?.  Obviously I am not with it or cool or is it some other word that is in style now.  We say words or phrases that really don't add much, just to start or end a sentence.  Well, I thought it was interesting that ABC News Nightline had a feature on the words and phrases that annoy Americans the most.  Here is what they found.

recent poll by Marist College ranked the most annoying expressions to Americans.

The fifth most annoying is "At the end of the day." 

Number four is "Anyway." 

In third place, "It is what it is."

In second, "You know." 

And the winner of the most annoying expression among Americans: "Whatever."

Personally, I think there are at least two phrases that should be added.

"Do you know what I mean?"  and "Needless to say."

I know I am guilty of the "whatever", "anyway", and "it is what it is."  The funny part is that the "It is what it is" bothers me the most when other people say it.  Then I catch myself saying the same thing.  It's contagious.  "You know what I mean?"  "Anyway, whatever."  (Big sigh)

What expressions do you find annoying?